This first one Spark - the Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey, is one that I want EVERYONE I KNOW to read. SERIOUSLY this book is for YOU - no matter who you are. Everybody should know this stuff. And I hope that it will have a profound effect on everyone who does know it. Don't sell yourself short by not reading it!
This next book: Ancient Futures by Helena Norberg-Hodge, was such an eye-opener to me. I just finished it, so I have still to implement my new-found wisdom and knowledge, but it has certainly changed my perspective on MANY things and has inspired me to make some serious changes in my ways and mentality. Again, EVERYONE should read this book...PLEASE!!!
Magic Trees of the Mind by Marion Diamond and Janet Hopson was a great book for me to read at this time in my life - I have small children with more on the way, and am very interested in how to nurture my child's mind. But it would be a great read for anyone who works with children, has grandchildren or nieces/nephews, is ever planning to have children, etc. It's enlightening in SOOOO many ways.
Hunting for Hope by Scott Russell Sanders: LOVED this book. It is one that I hope to read again and again in my life. Keep your pen/highlighter out while reading it so you can mark because there are some beautiful things in it that are worth referring to time and time again. And just a slight warning: there were points where I wondered if I should really keep reading, for different reasons (not bad language or material...you'll see), but believe me, it is worth it. LOVE IT!
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - This one has changed a lot about the way I view our country, farming, the world, and food. It was a big eye-opener to me. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I certainly wasn't raised in the country (although that has always been my dream childhood), and there is A LOT I didn't and still don't know, that really should be common knowledge to mankind....READ THIS! We city-folk have a lot to learn when it comes to basics. And who doesn't love Barbara Kingsolver?
My Grandfather's Blessings by Rachel Naomi Remen is another one that is just inspiring and enlightening. It's a nice read because of it's format - you can read one short chapter/story here and there when you have time and not feel like you are losing the whole meaning. It's a good one to read when you are busy.
These last two are both fabulous books that opened my eyes to more of the world than I get to experience on a daily basis, but in a way that doesn't leave horrible images in my mind (like The Kite Runner for example - loved that book, I just like the way these open my eyes a little better...). Very inspiring, very moving, and hopefully will contribute to changes in people and the world.
Most of these books are not light, fanciful reading. But they are all very inspiring and life-changing. I am SO grateful to the women in my local book group here that have recommended them, otherwise I don't know when I would have known about them. So, get busy and do some reading and get inspired:)







4 comments:
Thanks for the great suggestions Chels! I want to get reading. Good luck with that little boy. Can't wait for the announcement!
Chels- We all know you don't read so why do you pretend??....love your friend who knows you VERY well!!!
Wow! Awesome book list! I'm definitely going to check some of these out. (I just wish Ancient Futures was available on Kindle...) Thanks for sharing.
Hey thanks for the suggestions! I've read three of them and look forward to looking into the others. They look fascinating!
Where are you guys going next?
Post a Comment