August was a big month here in the state of South Dakota because of the Sturgis Bike rally. Sturgis just happens to be 20 min. from our house....so the rumble of Harleys and other motorcycles was a constant for about 3 weeks around here. It was actually pretty cool to see what it's like NEAR Sturgis during the rally...we weren't brave or dumb enough to venture right into Sturgis....not really our crowd I think. Here are some pictures of what the Main St. of Hill City looked like during rally:
Sam and I also celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary on August 8th....kind of crazy that I've been married for 3 years already! We went out to dinner in Hill City (as pictured above) a couple days before our anniversary. That was the night we got a babysitter and everything. On our actual anniversary we had LucyMae with us, and we decided to go check out the cool town of Keystone, which is home to Mt. Rushmore. We took a little picnic along with us and ate in the city park. The picture below is the only picture we got of the night. Rain poured as we explored the main strip of Keystone, we bought some AWESOME saltwater taffy, and then we went to Mt. Rushmore for the lighting ceremony, which we hadn't seen yet. It was fun, but definitely a long night for LucyMae since they don't do the lighting ceremony until dark, which was about 9:30ish. It was a fabulous and low-key anniversary year. BUT, I am so grateful that I was able to find Sam - the perfect match for me! I never cease to be awed at how perfect we are for each other....I can't imagine life without my Sam....or my LucyMae!
LucyMae has been growing like a weed it seems. At her 15 month Dr. appt. she had jumped from the 50th percentile in height to the 90th. Weight has stayed in the 50th. We still can't get enough of her...and the great positions she sleeps in! We love having a video monitor to spy on her with.
We took another little outing to dinosaur hill. Seriously one of the most random things that Rapid City, SD has to offer....but fun nonetheless. LucyMae sure enjoyed it more this time around.... although she did eat it pretty hard at one point when she was playing under one of the dinosaurs
I mean, seriously....check out how big this girl is getting! Look at the belly on that thing! She's quite the poser eh?
And we're pretty sure she likes her rocking-horse. She can actually climb on it by herself now...which she is very proud of! She rocks like a real cowgirl on it, and loves to give it kisses. Sadly the noises it used to make when you pinched its ears have died....yes, we tried changing the batteries....something's broken. But, she still loves it!
We have REALLY loved our ward here in Rapid City as well. We have had so much fun getting to know everyone, and have made some wonderful friends. There are actually a LOT of couples around our age and stage of life. So, we got a bunch of families together and went camping one weekend. I definitely should have taken more pictures than I did....like of our campsite, or fires, or games....but I guess I was having too much fun. I did get some pictures of us at the lake swimming though. Sam led a running-in-the-water-and-make-as-big-a-splash-as-you-can contest with all the little kids. They enjoyed it!
LucyMae wasn't such a big fan of all the splashing, but she did have fun in the water.
There were little kids and dogs everywhere...some people were trying to fish...you can imagine what a success that was! We had a blast!
The tri-states fair comes to Rapid City as well. I have to admit, with it being a tri-states fair, I was imagining a much bigger event....still it was fun and purley entertaining for LucyMae. And it only cost $2/person to get in...so I can't complain too much. LucyMae LOVED the animals!
and the left-overs of the caramel apple we convinced the guy to give us for $2 even though it cost like $3 or $4. We only took $25 cash with us on purpose, so that we wouldn't go overboard. We only had that much left after we mistakenly bought our dinner there (should have brought dinner so that we could ride the ferris-wheel)....so we begged and held up our cute little daughter, and they gave it to us!
This little girl is a toddler now...a little girl! She is not my baby anymore! I can't believe how fast this is all going...I try to soak it all in, and enjoy all the stages (even the not so fun ones....like how she has figured out how to throw a really good tantrum lately)...but it still just slips right through my fingers because I am not quick enough with my camera, not diligent enough about writing in my journal, and slightly pregnant (which makes getting down on her level to play slightly uncomfortable). Thank heavens I get to have more than one baby! SO FAR....I can honestly say that I love all the stages so far: newborn to toddler....you name it, they're CUTE! The best story of this stage for LucyMae was that she threw her frist real tantrum while I was in a dressing room at a store - a not-so-big second-hand store where everyone could hear everything! She wouldn't let me comfort her, I had no idea what she wanted, she wouldn't come out of the dressing room, and she wouldn't even look at me....there have been only a few of these since....but I seriously have a hard time hiding my laughter from her as she stands in the corner, or bathroom, or wherever screaming as hard and high as she can, refusing any help/comfort/consolation. They usually only last about 10 minutes if I just leave her alone and let her come out when she is done....I know it is sad....but I still get a chuckle out of it every time.
We spent a little time at the local pool...which is pretty sweet - waterslides, cool play things everywhere....LucyMae had a blast there. She is NOT afraid of the water.
This is my hunk....yes, I cut his hair....what can I say? We're poor grad students!
We decided to take one last real road-trip over Labor-day-weekend to visit Sam's brother Andy and his wife Amy in Des Moines, Iowa. They just moved there so Andy can attend podiatry school. Amy is also prego - due just a few weeks after me. We LOVE hanging out with Andy and Amy and have really missed them since we've been in Rapid City. So, it was fun to just have the chance to hang out again and have a relaxing weekend...although I'm not sure Amy got to relax much. She was such a great hostess....we ate like kings and queens while we were there! LucyMae loved riding their rocking horse that still works. And doesn't she look adorable in those PJs they gave her?
We went to a horse-show while we were there....but, we missed the cool horse events so we spent more time at the dog-show. But we also got to see this ENORMOUS bull.
And if anyone knows LucyMae, you know she loves dogs....LOVES them. So the dog-show was a bit of heaven on earth for her.
She went trompin around from one dog to the next, thoroughly entertained and happy!
I've never been to a dog-show before....it was pretty cool...and funny to see it for real.
I don't think this picture does it justice, but that dog is HUGE!!!!!
LucyMae's first experience on one of these little toy push-cars. She loved it...we need to get her one....she looks pretty intense doesn't she?
Do you think she likes slides?
The last day we were there we spent some time at this cool little beach on the river. The weather was perfect. Sadly I did a terrible job of taking pictures on this trip - I didn't get a single one of all of us! Sorry Andy and Amy.
Sam caught a little frog for LucyMae...she thought it was cool...but didn't seem super impressed. I think she was starting to get cold....
On the way home we took a little detour to Winter Quarters, Nebraska to see the temple (which was closed for cleaning), and took a little tour of the visitors center there. The temple really is a small temple, but beautiful.
And we encountered a cool, and somewhat scary storm on our drive home as well. I was the lucky one driving when it hit...and I did get a little white-knuckled as our windshield wipers were going as fast as they could and I still couldn't really see the road in front of me....I wouldn't have been surprised if we had seen a tornado....I mean, look at those clouds...they are OMINOUS!
I saw the mighty Missouri River for the first time...pretty cool. It definitely makes what we call rivers in Utah look pretty puny.
Ward activities below....the polynesian dancers are from Utah...recognize any of them?
More funny sleeping positions by LucyMae. She really didn't want to go to sleep this night...so, she was trying to stay awake by standing up. She actually fell asleep standing up I think, and then kind of tipped over like this.....she cracks us up! She was out COLD too!
Love this cute little outfit on her. Some friends from our ward loaned us a bunch of winter clothes for her....and I must say, she's much more stylin' this way than she would be if I had to go buy her all her clothes. Thanks Baums!
The Buffalo Round-up in Custer State Park is a cool event with a big arts festival, chili-cook-off, and pancake breakfast to boot. Check out the fun events....
Buffalo-chip tossing into a toilet bowl...little kids get to stand close!
Big boys have to stand back and really use their skills. Sam did get one in!
Stick-pony-rides/races....this was LucyMae's favorite part...she was way into it! And we got to experience another one of her tantrums when we had to give the stick-pony back.
And last, but not least, LucyMae has turned into a great hugger! She loves giving and receiving hugs and kisses...She kept mauling this little friend of hers when they were over at our house for dinner conference weekend. Man, we love our little LucyMae.
And now we are almost through October.....not much has happened this month. LucyMae now has 8 teeth! She got 6 on top in a 2-week period. She really likes using them on her food now. Sam is in full-swing with a crazy schedule in school, and doing a great job balancing studying, class, work, family, church-callings, etc. You name it, he is doing it! He's a champ...and he's picking up all my slack as I get more and more pregnant, uncomfortable, and riskier with this placenta previa. I am constantly asking him to bend down and get this or that for me, and do house chores, and play with LucyMae when she gets whiny....and he just grins and does it all! I have an amazing husband for sure!
I go in for one more ultrasound this Thursday to see if a miracle has taken the placent previa away....but otherwise I think we will be scheduling a c-section for Nov. 21st! CRAZY! I am going to have a newborn so soon! I need to go through clothes, organize, clean, rearrange LucyMae's room to be the kids' room, etc., etc.!
We have also enjoyed a wonderful visit from Sam's parents and Hannah this month....more to come on that later!....along with some documentation of Halloween...I promise!
And finally, here are some videos for your entertainment.
9 comments:
I was just getting on your blog to tell you to update it! So thank you for reading my mind. I always love your blog. What a darling little family you have. I can't wait to see the new little one. Let us know what happens with your ultrasound.
Wow..a lot has been going on. Looks like a lot of fun and only wish I could enjoy your adventures with you! Someday I will make it to South Dakota!!
Wow that baby is going to be here in no time! Good luck with the ultra sound and EVERYTHING!
You look great lady! It is good to see all the fun things you are up too. Love you babe!
Those are some fantastic pictures, and you're a saint to upload them all--sometimes blogging is such a pain, isn't it? But it's definitely worth it to be able to see my adorable little neice. She is a FUNNY sleeper--don't make her share a bed with her sister, or her sister will wind up black and blue (giggle, wink)! You and Sam are fantastic parents--always doing this or that cute thing with LucyMae. She's going to have such great memories!!!
She's so big!! I'm jealous that you've only had one major tantrum... They are regular at our house!
That pic of LucyMae sleeping half standing up is hilarious! I need to email you our pumpkin pics. That was a fun night.
Great job today in the choir and on your violin!
Holy cow...literally-that longhorn is huge. How funny, I have a Sturgis shirt that Dave got for me years ago. I didn't even know what it was until then, so it's fun to see pictures of the real thing.
Holy cow! You could have the baby this month?! I can't believe it! Yeah for you! Any new news on the placenta previa? We are crossing our fingers! Love you!
Ok wait what the heck!? How is she growing so fast? She can wink, talk, jump, do like everything! I miss her! and you and sam!
Blah! it is disgusting how cute you guys are!
Post a Comment