When these blizzards hit Rapid City the town literally shuts down. No travel advisories are issued, and pretty much nothing is open. Hardly anybody leaves their house, all schools and everything are cancelled...the poor public school kids have to go through June 15 to make up for all the snow-days! Luckily we aren't part of that group of people yet. Sam's school will be having finals just as they were scheduled and he will be done with his semester the first week of May. Hallelujah! So, while we were trapped in our house several times for a couple of days, we tried to make the most of it...we did get bored though, as you can see:
And once the snow actually stops and it's sunny outside, schools and everything else are still cancelled for another day to give everybody a chance to dig themselves out...it can be a pretty serious chore around these parts! Here's a little of what Sam had to deal with, and how we enjoyed the sun!
This is our driveway...pretty deep eh? and it is long too!
A sure-fire way to make LucyMae giggle
Isn't she such a little model?
LucyMae's first snow-angel!
Then we helped LucyMae warm up by taking a nice warm bath....and then something unexpected happened. Sorry...I know it is kind of gross...but I just wanted to say: I AM A PATIENT MOTHER! My sister, Brittani, always made fun of me when I would laugh at the annoying, gross, unwanted things her kids would do. I mean, seriously, kids make huge messes sometimes. And sometimes they cause permanent damage to things that we care about. So, my sister always said that I could laugh because I was the aunt, but just wait until I was the mother....and I always hoped that my ability to laugh at these situations would carry into motherhood (with a little fear that it would NOT). BUT, lo and behold, I have proven myself on a couple of occasions so far (but I am not ignorant to the fact that I might not find it as cute with a 2-year-old or older as I do with a baby...I am sure things will change in the future...but I am going to hold on to laughter as the best medicine for as long as I can).
First - LucyMae broke one of our nice serving dishes we got for our wedding...accidentally of course...and I was disappointed that we only used it once or twice so far, but had to laught at the commotion it caused while I was teaching.
Second - Sam had just brought me home a beautiful pot of lilies that I had set on a table in the living room (one that I thought she could not reach to the top of), and LucyMae had her eyes on that thing...I was getting dinner ready in the kitchen with Sam's help, and when it got suddenly very quiet in the other room, Sam checks on her and finds the whole plant on the floor with dirt everywhere, and broken flowers. I thought that one was hilarious as LucyMae frantically stuffed as much dirt in her mouth as she could before Dad took it all away...And when Sam wouldn't let her touch it anymore she SCREAMED like I have never heard before. She was MAD!!! And I was laughing pretty dang hard.
Third - I was giving her a bath to warm up after playing in the snow....and I saw that face...and I knew it was coming and I wouldn't have time to do anything about it, so I just grabbed the camera, called for Sam from outside, and we both had a good laugh at her first time pooping in the tub. Nuisance? YES! Funny? YES! But the instant LucyMae could tell that I was annoyed or grossed out at all, she started crying...so I just had to laugh and pretend it was no big deal.
Moments before the explosion...
Sorry...gross picture...but every kid does
it at some point right?
Other than the endless snow and cold we've been enduring out here, life has been pretty normal. Just the usual schedule of school for Sam, substitute teaching as much as possible for Sam, teaching violin lessons for me, YM and YW activities, etc. I got to play again with the Black Hills Symphony for their last concert of the season, so no more Monday night rehearsals until September!
And of course....GENERAL CONFERENCE! We just watched all the sessions on the internet at home and thoroughly enjoyed every word that was spoken. What a blessing it is to hear such words of wisdom from our prophet and leaders every six months. Can't wait for the May Ensign to come out!!!
So, that's life from Rapid City in a nut-shell! Here are few more pics...
she figured out that she could still wave with her gloves on
how did the snow get inside our garage you ask? we think
it's just because of how hard the wind can blow...any little
crack and the wind will find it!
LucyMae's idea of helping me with the laundry
very helpful huh?
she loves those strawberries!
10 comments:
At least your boredom gives us good entertainment. I love that you posted the tub pictures. If blogs are supposed to be a journal than I guess we have to tell and show the truth :)
LucyMae is so adorable in her snow outfit!!! What a cute little girl. :) I love her personality. I love how excited she was to see the dog too. Wow. Those snow storms are something else!
Even when LucyMae poops in the tub she is adorable! She IS such little model in her snow suit. You blog is the only blog Andy cares to read. He's got to keep up on the life of Sam, Chels and LucyMae..so thanks for the suprise post!
Thanks for letting us see your blog too. Looks like you guys are having fun here in RC. And what are you talking about? Your pictures are awesome!!!
Guess I can't complain about the snow here anymore...at least it's been melting the next day! Have fun in all that white stuff. Hope you get some springtime sunshine soon...
I love the bored family picture. How in the world did you get LucyMae to look at the camera and be so cute????? That is talent!
I have to say, even if we have it colder, you got more snow! Which actually looks kind of fun. And haha--I'm sure LucyMae has more fun where that came from. I hate tub poop!!!
Your house looks so nice--you should come organize mine for me.
I have to say poop is easier to clean up in the tub then on the FLOOR.. I love that LucyMae will keep her snow clothes on, so adorable!!
chels, i was laughing so hard at the dog video! she is such a cutie, miss you guys!!
sick...you showed the poop. as if we don't know what it looks like. gross. :)
Post a Comment