We had been going back-and-forth for several months on whether we were going to try to buy a house this summer or not. When we finally decided against it for now, we decided we might as well go ahead and just visit family instead. I felt very strongly about needing to get our kids back for a visit. To give them the chance to strengthen and build ties with their cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents again. We watched air-fares for a long time, trying every viable option, but when it came down to it, the only affordable option for us was to drive.
My super awesome sister, Aubrey, flew out to Philly to drive across the country with me. There was no way in H--- I was going to try that on my own with 4 kids. But thanks to her and my dad for helping her get here, we were able to do it. Poor Sam had to stay home and work most of the time, but did fly out for the last week of our trip!
We headed out at like 4:00 in the morning on July 16th. I was amazed at how well we packed the car. We didn't even need the rocket-box, which would have really cut into our gas-mileage. We packed tons of food so we wouldn't have to stop a lot. And we brought plenty of movies for the kids. And I think the kids were so excited to be going to Utah that they were pretty well behaved. So, we had a points-system: for every 10 minutes that passed without any whining or fighting, they earned a point. Every time they accumulated 5 points, they could watch a movie. That helped with not having movie after movie after movie, and gave them a chance to play games with each other, or read books and stuff. The first day we made it 19 hours of driving (all the way to Omaha, NE), and the kids only watched 4 movies I think (maybe only 3). We got a hotel room (Sam booked us one), slept for about 7 hours, took a shower, got some free breakfast at the hotel, and hit the road again. We made it to my mom's house before dark on the second day of driving. It was awesome! Not that I would want to do it again...but at least now I know it is possible:) THANK YOU AUBREY!!!!
We were all super happy when we made it to the Little America in Wyoming...getting so close! Lots of memories there from all our drives to Utah from Rapid City.
And then we crossed the state-line into Utah...look at the joy on their faces! These kids are road-trip champions! And the thing that kept James the most entertained: a breath-mint container! He played with that thing for hours, holding it between his feet half of the time. I was really worried about how James would handle the trip....but he literally only cried ONCE! He was amazing!And don't you love LucyMae's "U"?
We spent our first day in SLC hanging out at grandma Michelle's in the morning. I got to go for a run (with James in the stroller, while Aubrey watched the other kids) and then we got violin practicing done. LucyMae had made a goal to do 100 days in a row of practicing, and she was on like day 70 when we left...so we tried to keep at it (making an allowance for the days of driving). We did it for the first 10 days or so of the trip, and then we just gave up...too hard when on vacation! But, hey, she made it to 80!
After lunch we headed out to go rock-climbing in my beloved Utah mountains with Rennie and Scott! My kids have really missed rock-climbing since we left South Dakota...so they had a great time!
It was kind of an inconvenient slope for hanging out as we observed though...a little too dangerous and scary for the kids...especially James who wanted out of my arms the whole time...but would have died if I let him! So I didn't climb this time, but it was fun to watch the kiddos.
And I was very contentedly occupied with the awesome view surrounding us the whole time....oh, how I miss my mountains!!!!
I loved this time with my kids....we had so much fun together! And thank heavens for that chariot stroller! I am IN LOVE with that thing! It fit in the back of our van very nicely even with all of our luggage.
I sure love pictures like these...that remind me how much I love my kids, and how much fun I can have with them! They're the BEST!
I was able to catch my dear cousin Noah and his family for a little picnic visit at Sugarhouse park. We were heading down to Orem, and they were heading from Orem up to Bear Lake (but they live in California). It was the only time we could catch each other, so we just made it work. And they even had 2 sick and pukey kiddos. I sure wish we lived closer to each other...I think our kids could be such good buddies!
So thankful for this awesome cousin, and all my awesome cousins, who have been such good influences in my life! I was able to visit my other best cousin, Ben, in Provo too, but completely failed to get any pictures with them. Also wish we could live close to them and have our kiddos be good buddies!
LucyMae and Lyla...love each other even though they've only met like twice I think.
So, we headed down to Orem and were welcomed with loving arms to the Evans' home. I failed to get any first-greeting pictures, but we sure had a pleasant evening with them, and then we stayed at their house for the rest of the weekend.
Saturday morning we were able to meet up with our great friends from Rapid City, the Baums. We did just see them in June, but can't get enough of them. They happened to be in Orem as well, sort of enroute to their move to Coeur d'Alene, ID. So, now we have no idea when we'll see them again...someday for sure though. So we met up and went for a hike to a beautiful waterfall. Again, failed to get pictures of the whole group, but some of the kids together. I am so GRATEFUL for amazing friends, like Amberly, who feed my soul with their enduring and faithful friendship. It works out nicely that our husbands and kids all love each other too:)
And later that day, Grandpop and Grandma Clair treated us with a visit to the new Children's Museum at Thanksgiving Point. That place is amazing! It puts the Please Touch Museum here in Philly to shame. Cousins Sam and James loved the water table for babies:)
They even have a huge outdoor section with fun stuff and a splash-pad.
And these grandparents finished off the date with ice-cream! They know the way to these kids' hearts for sure!
And after church on Sunday, Benson was the entertainment of the day...oh how they love this dog!
Monday night, we kicked off the Eyre Family Reunion, with a Bee's Game. And then we headed up to the "Lodge" in Park City. Paul and Tenille are the live-in care-takers at a stake property right at Kimball Jct. It is beautiful, and it provided the perfect place for us to have a little reunion.
These mountains are divine! I feel my soul come alive in a different way when I am in my mountains. We had fun little kid's activities one day.
We let the big cousins babysit so the adults could go out to dinner....that was great!
And Papa was great at entertaining all these little grandkids with his silly games and challenges. And the reunion was complete with Sera falling of the teeter-totter and breaking her arm/wrist. It added a little chaos and mayhem and drama to the short reunion, but an Eyre family reunion wouldn't be complete without chaos and drama:)
And Rennie and Scott treated us to one more rock-climbing experience at the gym before we headed to Bear Lake. This time I got a turn to climb, and my kids got a little braver:)
Aahhhhh...Bear Lake. The blue....And this place feeds and awakens my soul in a way that I can't explain. So loved watching my kids play on the beach with their cousins.
Extended Hooper Family Reunion time....I need to get the pictures from my cousins, b/c I missed a lot with my camera.
Good old uncle Howie filling in for the missing fathers of these kiddos...Thanks Howie!
The boy's turn.....
The girls' turn...
Cousin Theo taking care of the little guys!
Cousin Addie was a favorite of my kiddos...she was so sweet with them!
after church on Sunday, and good-bye for a couple of days...
Back to the Evans' home...bath-time in the front-yard....
Clair is a saint, and let me go running by myself every day, get a hair-cut, and go to the temple. Those were much needed "me" times on this long trip without Sam. Love this view from the Provo temple...
High-school girlfriends' get-together. Why am I so blessed with such amazing people in my life! These girls are all simply amazing! Sorry, didn't catch you in the pic before you left Heather...And thanks to Aubrey for being at the table next to us keeping my kids occupied so I could actually visit with my friends!
Back up to Bear Lake for Raspberry Days'. Kids loved the small-town parade.
Good small-town fun. And then it was August....
No comments:
Post a Comment