Sunday, June 15, 2014

September 2013


As I'm writing this in June of 2014, I'm trying to remember the details of the month....the feelings and emotions of an entire month, almost a year ago...they're hard to remember. But luckily pictures are pretty good at capturing a lot of those things that I'm not even good at expressing through words anyway.

Like, for example, the fact that my oldest child started kindergarten in September....this picture below perfectly captures her excitement and pure joy at the idea that SHE was going to actually get on a bus (like her aunt Hannah) and go to real school! She was gleeful! And she was pretty cute too! And her siblings were pretty excited for her and curious about this whole bus and school thing...

 


What we didn't get a picture of was how nervous Sam and I both were about what would actually happen when the school bus pulled up in front of our house. Honestly, I was fully expecting her to melt down, cling to me, hide behind me, possibly start kicking and screaming if we tried to encourage or make her get on the bus, and then completely refuse to go to school.....(if you know my daughter,  you know what I am talking about)....BUT! I have never loved being wrong so much in my life! She had the tiniest bit of hesitation...you could see it in her body-language, when that bus actually pulled up....but for the first time ever, I saw her excitement about something new outweigh and overcome her trepidation and anxiety about something so new and foreign. She marched right up those stairs and.....
then I spent the rest of the day praying that she would have a good and successful and positive experience with her first day of school. It was a REALLY long day for me. It was a long time to have my first-born child away from me, in the hands of perfect strangers....but we both survived until she got off the bus, right in front of our house (which is seriously the biggest blessing, and maybe the one redeeming thing about living on a busy street and there being no sidewalks around here)
LucyMae had a great first day of school! And I was pleasantly surprised to see that her hair had stayed done, with the bows in even....that NEVER happens with this girl. And Samantha was so excited to greet LucyMae getting off the bus...sisters are the best!
Bath time with the boys...I am so happy that these 2 will have each other... brothers are the best too!


We were able to take a day to go on a family bike ride. We got rid of our little bike-trailer that was getting old and worn out and a little broken, when we moved. And since being here, we SCORED a practically new chariot for $100 at a garage sale (with bike and strolling attachments - and have since purchased the jogging-wheel attachment. It is the BEST stroller ever! I've had too many strollers in my lifetime, and I am a firm believer now that is completely worth it to spend the money with your first child....just get a chariot, and you'll never need another stroller in your life! WE LOVE IT!), and spent $30 for a second bike trailer so we can go on family bike-rides together still! We rode along the Schuyllkill River trail, to Kelly Drive, and then all the way down to the Art Museum. It was a blast. But it was my first time back on the bike, and it hurt:) But it was worth it! So beautiful!


And we took another day to hit Dutch Wonderland one more time! Our kids love the place....but nothing will ever compare to that first time our kids saw an amusement park....the enchanted sparkle in their eye when they realized the possibilities will never be duplicated.






For some reason none of us will ever understand, LucyMae randomly refuses to do super fun things every once in a while....like this boat-ride down the water-slide with dad....whatever...
Ben was getting a little tired for a bit...so he got to sit in the baby seat:)


Sam survived the spinning swings to be with LucyMae...that man and his weak stomach;)


I got to go on the spinning turtle ride this time...no need to make Sam puke...



I've always loved bumper-cars:) I can live those "towanda" dreams and crash into others to my hearts' content...

It was a pretty perfect day!
LucyMae had a school carnival...and our kids LOVED it...I don't know where all my pictures went. This is one of LucyMae doing the ring-toss. She also did the dunking booth and got her art teacher in the water....she was pretty happy about that. And the kids loved getting their faces painted...
Ben and his super-man jammies...getting a little small, but he knows how to show off his stuff:)
Random fun times around here....we have put this bean-bag to good use Howie. It's usually used for some sort of landing-pad....and the kids LOVE it!

 


And this girl has become quite the poser for the camera...no matter what she's wearing....good old Moab 1/2 marathon shirts:)

No comments: