Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 2012

January is marked by many things in our family this year. Of course it's Sam's birthday. But this was the big 3-0! This year it also marked the month that Ben learned to walk! He did it before turning 1....YAY!!! Ben also weaned himself basically - between his teeth coming in and him fighting me at every feeding I decided to throw in the towel.....but most monumental about this moment in my life is that it marks the first time in over 4 years that I have not been pregnant or nursing!!!!!:):):):) It feel so wonderful to have MY body actually feel like MY body again! January was also the month we took our first "ski-trip" in the Black Hills - to celebrate the big 3-0. And it's the first time we've taken any of our kids ice-skating (and we loved that it was at the awesome new outdoor rink in downtown Rapid City).

So, to start off the pictures we have Ben attempting to walk. Doesn't the prospect of being able to move with only 2 limbs excite you as much as it does Ben?


I have a student whose family owns this gorgeous cabin up at the local Terry Peak Ski Resort. They gave us a killer deal on it for 2 nights. I thought it would be a great way to celebrate the big 30th for Sam, have some great family fun, and some good times with friends. And we did have a most fantastic time! True to form I slightly botched Sam's birthday cake. It was still yummy and very edible - it just didn't look quite like it was supposed to....but it's kind of turning into a tradition for Sam's  birthday. So if anyone has any great cake (particularly sheet-cake) recipes that you think I could muck up a little please send them my way:)

We were joined for the weekend of fun by our friends, the Baums (who miraculously moved back to Rapid City the day before), the Washburns, and the McIntires.

And we had fun hanging out with the couples after kids were all in bed. We had fondue, watched movies, hot-tubbed, chatted and chatted some more.
We had a great day of skiing on Saturday. Both LucyMae and Samantha had a blast on the magic-carpet. LucyMae was actually starting to realize that she could possibly do the skiing thing on her own:) And Samantha was just a limp-little-noodle in my arms. But she was smiling and having fun and loved jumping, so we call the morning a success.

We then took our kids back to the cabin and put them all down for a nap. Well, not LucyMae, but she watched a movie...And since some of the other adults were willing to watch our kids for us, we went skiing for the rest of the day (after lunch). Spencer Baum joined us on his snowboard and we shredded up the amazing terrain and snow (no sarcasm whatsoever in that statement;)). Terry Peak is a fun little resort - and I mean little - but it does lack vertical, and like everywhere else this year, it lacks great snow. But we still had ourselves a great time!
The Baum and Evans kids were purely delighted to be reunited! We are simply ecstatic that these wonderful friends have moved back to Rapid City and are living just down the street from us. Life doesn't get much better than having good friends close by! And Decker and Amberly have joined our Joy School group!
On one of the many warm days in January (warm to Rapid City being in the 20s) we hung out at the new main square downtown and Sam took the kids ice-skating. LucyMae loved it, although I don't think she quite got the hang of it. Samantha thought it was interesting for a few minutes, but then she was done.










Rapid City has so many new wonderful things to offer this year. We are loving it!

Bath-time...I can't believe how big these babies of mine are getting. They barely all fit in the tub together anymore!

This is our AWESOME group of Joy School kids. I don't even remember why I was taking a picture of all of them. But I love that our Mr. Gunnybag is in the background. I  introduced him that day, and we LOVE how effective he is in getting the kids to clean up our toys. That particular gunnybag is awesome because one of our Joy School moms is amazing with anything creative and made this one for our Joy School.
And who can resist going to the park when you are literally watching the snow melt  around you? This year has gifted us with the most wonderfully mild winter. I remember going on a bike-ride on Jan. 2 I think, in 75 degree weather. I was sweating in my shorts and tank-top as I hauled all the kids around behind me just basking in the glow of the sun! THANK YOU 2012 for the most pleasant winter I've experienced in South Dakota.


Here are some funny videos. I know Christmas is past, but I really loved that Samantha was just singing all the words to this song...

No comments: