The actual 4th of July was a nice Sunday spent with Sam's family, having a wonderful dinner and talking and loving how happy LucyMae and Samantha were to not get in a car at all!
On Monday, the 5th, we headed up to Sam's family's cabin for a week of bliss! I wish we could escape to a place with no cell phone service, TVs, internet, or busy city noise more often. We were more than happy to maintain the Evans tradition of attending the Oakley Rodeo finals - complete with awesome contestants, fireworks, and weather!
Samantha was having a great time! Pretty good 4th of July outfit eh? So patriotic, so young!
LucyMae loved being held by "Grandpop"! I love the look on her face in these pictures...she LOVES riding horses, and was quite excited to the next day....but can you see the concern in her face as she watches the bucking broncs and how crazy a ride that can be. I was worried she may not want to get on the horses after that.
But I am glad to say that there wasn't the slightest hesitation...she climbed right up there with daddy and had the time of her life. She went on at least one good horse-back-ride per day while we were up there. She's got her cowboy boots, now she just needs her cowboy hat. She knows all the names of the horses; loves feeding them oats, carrots, corn, whatever; talks about riding the horses with each person and each ride in pretty good detail still; she says "horsey say neigh...., cowboy say 'yeehaw'"; this little girl has found a passion I think.
We all got to enjoy several horse-back rides, some family runs, horse-shoes, lots of YUMMY food (thanks Clair and Mark), back-rubs, games, fires and marshmallows, relaxing, naps, and the beauty around us...it was a GOOD week!
We were the last ones to leave on Saturday and I really wanted to get a new family picture with the horses. 2 horses + 2 kids + self-timer on camera = a pretty funny series of pictures before someone in the next cabin came and offered to help....I love this progression:)
This was the decent one that we finally got with some help. I wish it was better, but we were pressed for time, so oh well.
We then headed to Bear Lake on Sunday to spend a couple days with my cousins, Ben and Noah, who were in town and gathered at the lake for the baby blessing of Noah's new baby. We had a fabulous time, but I was rather neglectful of the camera. This is all I got. But WOW, isn't Bear Lake beautiful? I LOVE that place......ahhhh, nostalgia.
We made that wonderful 10+ hour drive home again, and were able to enjoy a little time having fun as a family and with friends before Sam had to take off for scout camp for a week. There are several reservoirs around here, so on hot days it's fun to get friends together and go cool off and play in the water.
We really have made friends with some amazing people here. It has been a fun summer of get-togethers and BBQs. Here are some the cute girls I have been able to get to know...all such great examples of motherhood, service, and hard work....and many other things. Love these ladies.
And boy was it fun to come home after 3+ weeks to see how our garden had grown/taken over the yard. This was our first major harvest of the season...and there were many more to follow.
Don't those tomato plants look awesome? I am glad I got this picture of them b/c they got some little disease really bad on our last trip, and they are pathetic looking now, and not very productive.
Those squash plants were HUGE and so beautiful looking....now (September), they are SAD, dying and barely producing. Stupid powdery mildew/rust stuff! And grasshoppers....we have grasshoppers galore!
Here are few photos of scout camp. It was a long week of a lot of hard work for Sam, the scout master, but he had fun and did the job well!
They did the horsemanship merit badge, which Sam had fun teaching/helping with. He does know his horses.
And that pretty much sums up the month of July for us in pictures.
Samantha perfected the art of sitting-up this month, and really started experimenting with crawling, although hasn't really succeeded yet. She is such a HAPPY little girl nearly all the time and loves eating little table-foods, and her baby-food. She is growing perfectly and is healthy as can be. I love that she is already so attached to this little stuffed bunny that we have....when she snuggles that thing it is ADORABLE!!! I always wanted LucyMae to be attached to it, but she never was....so Samantha is instead. I just hope we don't lose it b/c she would have a hard time falling asleep without it. I think this is my favorite stage for kids, where Samantha is right now - she isn't mobile and all over the place yet, but she is having fun experimenting with what her body is capable of, and the noises she can make. She "talks" and smiles non-stop, and is starting towards more independence. LOVE this stage.
LucyMae is a mile a minute - talking, running, jumping, whining, getting hurt, etc. She has made leaps and bounds in her speech and comprehension. She is one smart little cookie. She also thinks she has made leaps and bounds in her physical abilities, and has therefore become a SUPER CLUTZ! She is constantly hurting herself, and looks like an abused child with all the bumps and bruises she has everywhere...but this stage shall pass right? She is a SUPER cute older sister for Samantha and loves "playing" with her and helping her. These two are going to be the best friends when they get older. Sure hope that helps me out a little when I have a new baby in 5 months.....aaahhhhH!!
I've been teaching all my students still all summer, and Sam has been painting the outside of a house for income. He has also been working on his thesis and research, and so far all is going well. Kinks here and there with the school, program, and faculty, but by and large things are going well. We have been trying to thoroughly enjoy the last summer we will spend here in Rapid City....and soak up the warm weather before another South Dakota winter sets in. It's hot here, but I still remember how cold it gets, and am not going to complain about the hot for now.
2 comments:
Nice garden and harvest! That cabin and the horses look like a lot of fun too. I understand what you mean by liking to get away from all the noise and media distractions, etc. That can be so refreshing. Your girls are getting so big so fast!!
You look HOT in a cowboy hat.
Post a Comment