Friday, May 16, 2008

Waiting on an Angel....


I actually really like that song by Ben Harper. Right now, I am just sitting here waiting on this little angel (who doesn't feel so little inside me anymore) to decide it is time to greet the big, beautiful world. The due date is May 30th, and as much as I want to have a May baby, I am not going to be too surprised if she doesn't show her face until June. It would be nice to go early, but I kind of suspect my chances of that are slim. Oh, how I love the unknown....

....Like, where are we going to be in 5 months? Who knows...? We have heard back from every school but one: Cal-Poly. Although we have only gotten "NOs" until now, it only takes one "yes". If we don't get into Cal-Poly, though, our plan is to pick somewhere that we want to live, and where Sam would like to go to school, and just set out on a new adventure. I think right now we are leaning toward Chicago...but we'll see!

So this last month and a half has been a little crazy! Finishing up school was no picnic for either of us. But it IS finally OVER NOW!!! Sam and I are both graduates of the University of Utah, although neither of us went to any of the graduation ceremonies because my cousin, Eli, got married that day. So we went to all the wedding stuff instead.

Anyway, my final graduate recital was on April 7th. It went well and I was so glad when it was over (one down, three to go). I included a short pedagogy portion on the recital, for which I had three of my private students play and then I had a little mini-lesson type thing with them in front of the audience. It was different and fun. I opened the recital with a Bartok Rhapsody for violin and piano, then had the pedagogy section, and after a short intermission, with the help of three friends, we performed Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 135. It was a fun recital to perform. And hopefully, as was the goal, this sort-of experimental program has opened up the door a little further for a violin/string pedagogy program and degree at the University of Utah. Although the degree doesn't exist yet, Dr. Baldwin and others in the music program are trying to get one started, which is why they let me do my degree and recital the way I did.

Performing Bartok's Rhapsody for violin and piano
accompanist - Chris Smith


Isn't she adorable?
Madeline Harker performing Andantino


Olivia Pratt (also adorable) performing Minuet by Boccherini

The quartet performing Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 135
(Me, Libby Nielson, Cassie Olson, Heidi Hicks)


They were so nice to help me on my recital...
just for the experience of playing


The happy couple...happy that it's over!

My 13-year-old brother, Howie, is WAY taller than me!

Sam's and my family at the recital

After my recital was over,I had to take my Oral Exams, and then Sam and I both just had papers and projects and finals to deal with. Amidst all of that we also had the great privilege of doing and paying our taxes. It is always such a blow to our pocketbook, no matter how much we prepare and save for it throughout the year. But at least we were able to pay them, even though we don't have our baby/hospital fund anymore. We finally finished everything up on May 1st! And then, with no break, Sam began a full-time job with ARUP laboratories up in research park. He is working in the infectious disease department running tests on all sorts of blood/skin/fluid samples. He is not going to catch anything! Other than the long hours, he has been enjoying it so far. He will be there, earning a living for our soon-to-grow little family for the next few months at least.

March and April also included fun things like more skiing, more doctor's appointments, our mission reunions, baby showers, birthday parties, more school concerts, my studio recital, and Easter. May has had more baby showers, weddings, graduation, and even more doctor's appointments. I love going to the doctor each week so I can pay them to tell me how much weight I have gained and how much my belly has grown.....it's the best!!

Sam and Abe Denzer like to go night-skiing/boarding at Brighton

Carli Serenity Eyre is no longer a teenager -
Happy 20th Birthday!


Just when I thought I couldn't get any bigger...

Easter Sunday with Sam's Family

Easter Egg Hunts and Jump-roping...
Benson, the dog, even tried a little


3 pregnant companions from the mission
(Sister Turner, Sister Prince, and Sister Eyre)


A whole crew of Bulgarian missionaries and Bulgarians
(not very many missionaries from my day attend anymore)

One Bulgarian ladies' man

High school Friends' Baby Shower

Eli and Julie Eyre - married May 2nd, 2008

Eyre Family Double Baby Shower

Howie is getting awesome on the cello...
this is his school orchestra concert

I am finishing up teaching all my students this next week. It is my last week with all of them, and I am really going to miss them all. I LOVE teaching! But with a new baby I will have to take time off anyway, and then we are moving, so it's only fair that they find a new teacher now. I will definitely get back into teaching again... but first I have to figure out how to be a mom!

There are so many fun adventures ahead of us...including that of sleep-deprivation. I am seriously so excited to be a mom and meet this little angel that's been inside of me for 9 months. Sam is probably the most excited dad-to-be I have ever seen, and he is going to make the BEST dad I have ever seen. As I continue to wait, and while Sam is working 10 hour days, I am cleaning every nook and cranny of our house/apartment, getting the baby room ready, walking/exercising every day, and finally getting to a million other projects I've been putting off for months and even years! It is nice to have a little time to get things done that I WANT to get done. Anyway, we will definitely send an email and put a post on here when she finally decides to show up so that you can all share in our joy! Happy May and Summer!



7 comments:

Matt said...

Hooray!!!!!!! I loved, loved, loved the update and all the fun pictures!! Your prego belly is just so stinkin' cute! I hope you little lady is nice to you on her way out! :) Keep us posted.....

brittanimae said...

YAY CHELS! I was hoping you hadn't forgotten your blog ;). Uber-cute pictures--I'm glad you included them all. And yay for your upcoming adventures!! Hugs!

Aaron & Amy Norton said...

the new post is finally here! sounds like you've had your hands, and belly full for a few months, good luck with it all!!!!!

Reeses Pieces said...

Yay, I'm so glad to see a new post. You guys have been BUSY! You look great. Can't wait to hear about the little one. Hope all goes well.

Nicole

*Leslie* said...

Wow, she will be here soon! I hope the rest of your pregnancy, and then the deliver and recovery all go really well. Good Luck. I'm excited to see pictures of your new little girl!

Alyson and Greg Markham said...

Chelsea-
You're so talented! I saw you on the Easter morning spoken word. I felt special for a minute that you were my cousin..LOL!!
Good luck on everything going on! Having a baby and picking up and moving sounds like an adventure!

Emily Snow said...

well, i hear she came...so lets see pictures!